Au pair USA
Listen to a recorded webinar of our Au pair Abroad option:
Do you enjoy caring for children? Have you dreamed of spending a year in the United States, living with an American family and travelling extensively? Become an Au pair and get ready to have a rewarding year caring for children and living in the United States.
Since 2000 OVC have successfully placed more than 1,000 au pairs with carefully screened American families. To help you make the most of your time as an au pair in the USA, you will receive numerous benefits and opportunities as listed below to study and travel, and experience the greatest cultural exchange program OVC has to offer.
There are many benefits to becoming an Au Pair in the United States. Not only will you make new friends, travel the USA and gain valuable work experience, you will also receive the following wonderful benefits:
- Earn a weekly wage of $195.75, or $10,000+ a year
- Enjoy two weeks of paid vacation, 1.5 days off a week and 1 full weekend off a month
- Receive an educational allowance of up to $500
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- Round-trip airfare from your home country to the United States
- Medical and accident travel insurance during your stay
- Free private room and full board provided by your host family
- Sponsorship of your J-1 Au Pair visa
- Training at the Au Pair Academy upon arrival to the USA
- Full support from your local representative during your stay
- Monthly social and cultural opportunities with other Au Pairs
- 30 Days to travel the U.S. after completing your year
- Extend your stay for an additional year and earn another $10,000+ a year
Au Pair Responsibilities
Living with an American host family and working as an Au Pair is a unique and rewarding experience. Au Pairs are responsible for providing quality childcare for up to 45 hours per week, including the following:
- Playing with the children and keeping them safe
- Preparing meals and snacks for the children
- Helping to keep the children’s rooms tidy
- Bathing and dressing the children
- Helping school age kids by packing lunches, taking them to school and helping with homework
- Entertaining the children and teaching them about your culture
- Taking the children on outings to parks, playgroups and other activities
- Travelling with your host family on vacations and providing care for the children
Your responsibilities as an Au Pair are limited to child care and related duties. You will not be expected to perform tasks that are not related to children or include heavy manual labour. However, as a family member, you may be asked to help participate in duties that a typical family member would help with.
- Females aged 18 - 26 (arrive before turning 27)
- Male candidates 18-26 must have a lot of childcare exp. and a valid license
- Single and have no dependents
- Matric or high school equivalent
- Passion to work with children
- Must have extensive childcare experience
- Fit and healthy
- Valid drivers license
- South African passport holders
Au pairs can travel anytime from January through December.
J1 Cultural Exchange Visa valid for 12 months. With the option to extend for an additional 6, 9 or 12 months. With a 30 day grace period to travel the USA upon successful completion of your Au Pair contract.
|Recommended Spending Money||$250|
Visit your local OVC office to receive the application link and forms. Complete the application requirements and attend an in-person interview. Your application will be forwarded to the USA. You will begin to hear from families and screen them to ensure you are choosing the right family for you. Once you have successfully matched, OVC will assist in obtaining your J1 Cultural Exchange Visa. On approval of your visa, you will travel to the USA to begin the adventure of a lifetime.
Testimonial - Claudia Coetzee - SA
Everything’s Bigger in Texas! - After finishing university, Claudia Coetzee from South Africa decided to discover life in the United States and learn more about American culture. The Au Pair program was a perfect choice for her because of her passion for children and love for travel. After watching her video, the Whitt family of Houston, Texas fell in love with Claudia based on the detailed information she shared. Upon her arrival, she quickly became a valued member of the family and often spends her off-time participating in family activities. Click here to read more about Claudia’s experience in the U.S.