Au Pair In Belgium
Status : Program Open
Embassy : Open
Vaccination Required : No
PCR Required to Enter : No
Listen to a recorded webinar of our Au pair Abroad option:
If you would like to experience Belgium first-hand, becoming an au pair could be the ideal opportunity for you to gain a unique insight into the country’s diverse and rich heritage while staying in the home of a Belgian host family.
You get to learn French, German and or Dutch throughout your program year plus you can travel all over Europe during your off times. OVC work with the best partners in Belgium that has over 12 years of in-country experience, place au pairs successfully and support both au pairs and host families and also screen host families carefully to ensure that program rules are followed at all times by both parties.
- Maximum of 25 hours per week, inclusive of a possible 3 nights a week babysitting
- Placement with carefully screened family
- Medical and accident travel insurance during your stay
- 1 Day off per week
- At least one weekend off per month
- 12 month contract
- Pocket money of 450 Euros per month
- 2 weeks paid vacation (per 12 months)
- Private room and food provided
- Contribution towards language course to learn Dutch, German or French
- Support by local agency
- Monthly activities hosted by Netherlands agency
- Local network for au pairs
- Optional First Aid Course / Orientation - terms and conditions apply
Au Pair Responsibilities
- Doing light household chores such as vacuuming, dusting, ironing, dishes and laundry
- Playing with the children and keeping them safe
- Take children to school, play park, play groups and other activities by bicycle
- Give them snacks and drinks
- Help with homework if any and help them with their English if required
- Bathing and dressing the children
- Preparing meals for the family such as breakfast and dinner and lunch for the children
- Go on vacation with the family whilst caring for children
- Females aged 18-25 (you need to apply for your visa before you turn 26)
- South African, Namibian and EU passport holders only
- Be single and have no children
- Good overall health
- Matric or high school equivalent qualifications
- Childcare experience and references
- Be in good health, non-smoking and have a clear police record
- Be able to ride a bicycle, swim and cook
- Holding a valid driver’s license is a bonus as this makes a strong applicant
- Speaking Dutch is a bonus
- Willing to attend language course for full program duration
*Vaccinated and unvaccinated au pairs can apply, should a pandemic break out, au pairs need to be willing to vaccinate if required
Placement and Departures all year round. You need to apply at least 3-6 months prior your planned departure timeline.
Your host family will apply for your work permit in Belgium, when this is granted you will apply for your Au Pair visa at the Belgian Embassy in SA. The visa application process will be handled through TLSContact Centre in JNB or Cape Town and your OVC Consultant will guide you in the process and make sure you have all required documentation.
If you are applying to go from the Netherlands directly to Belgium, speak to your OVC consultant as the process and documents is slightly different than applying from South Africa.
|Other fees||See more info below|
|Visa fees||180 Euros + 27.50 Euros TLS service fee|
|Recommended Spending Money||350 Euros|
- Contact your local OVC office for more information.
- Complete the OVC registration link as sent by your OVC Office.
- Pay your application fee.
- Receive your application forms, once completed return them to your OVC consultant.
- Your consultant will interview you in person, submit your application forms to our partners who will review your application.
- Once accepted, they will start to look for your perfect host family.
- Once you are placed, your program fee will be due.
- Your OVC consultant will assist you with your visa application, final briefing and prepare you for your departure.
ADDITIONAL COSTS TO YOU
- Doctors visit - only once matched will you need to see a Belgian Embassy approved Doctor.
- Police Clearance. (SAPS) plus Apostille process through DIRCO.
- International Driver’s License
- Language Course fees in Belgium - prices differ from area to area but budget for 75-120 Euros per semester (most cases paid by the host family, you will need to chat to your host family after matched)