OVC is proud to be working hand in hand with our local and international partners to offer young South Africans the opportunity to work in the USA for 1 year on a hospitality internship program at leading resorts and hotels throughout the USA. Typical Internship Position Information: 1. Must be a current full-time student at a post-secondary ministerially recognized institute outside the USA All year round 12 Month J1 intern/trainee visa program. - Gather application documents and pay R500 to your OVC office Program Fee Deferred Payment Plan
USA J1 Hospitality Internships
Now is the time to gather valuable international work experience in the field of Culinary, F&B and Rooms Division positions. The program training plans are put together on a rotational basis during the 12 months, so you will work within different departments and roles throughout the resorts to gain as much knowledge and experience in your field. On your return to South Africa, you would be able to include this international work experience and continue to climb the ladder within the industry locally!
- Practical hands-on training in your field of study or work experience
- Cultural Exchange – to learn about America and to share your SA culture with America
- Learn the American hospitality industry from a 4 or 5* resort and hotel in the USA and bring this knowledge back to SA
- 12 Month placement only – you will return to SA prior the end of 12 months
- Earn money to pay back your program fee while working!
- Culinary/ Food and Beverage/ Front Office and Rotational positions available
- Minimum of 32 working hours per week and more depending on the season
- Minimum of $10 per hour
- 4-5* hotels
- Hotel groups such as Marriott/Hilton/ Ritz Carlton/Omni and many more popular brands
- Placements throughout the USA
- Shared housing close to work - 2 or more interns will share a room while on the program, apartments are charged per person for the room
- Transport, Food, personal items and any other emergencies not covered by insurance are for your own expense
- Deferred payment plan for your program fee available
- This program is not a money-making opportunity and should not be seen as an opportunity to send money back home, you will earn enough money to pay the above expenses each month and possibly save a little extra money at times
2. Must have completed studies and if no valid work experience must enter the US within 12 months of last exam date
3. If graduated more then 12 months ago then the applicant must have a qualification with at least 12 months work experience in their field of study
4. Have at least 5 years of work experience outside the United States in a specific occupation
- 19-35 years
- Proficient in English
- We accept SA and Namibian passport holders (Other foreign passport holders will be considered on a case by case scenario
- Finances available to pay for the program costs listed below
- Good budgeting skills
- Hard working, efficient, committed to a 12-month placement
* Only vaccinated travellers will be allowed to apply for a J1 Visa to partake in the Hospitality program. (Recognised Vaccines: Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson)
Two options are available:
1. Trainee Program
This option is available if you have one of the following:
a) A professional qualification (certificate/degree/diploma and at least 1 year’s professional experience in the same field)
b) At least 5 years experience in a specific field.
2. Internship Program
This option is available to students between 19-35 years of age who are currently enrolled or are within 12 months of graduation and who would like to gain experience in the same field of study.
Repeat participation is allowed under following conditions:
- In all cases, repeat participation should address the development of more advanced skills or a different field of expertise
- Interns may repeat as interns if they are still a student or recent graduate
- Trainees may repeat after a 2 year period of residency outside the USA.
- Interns who wish to be Trainees may do so after a 2 year period of residency outside the USA
$2400 - Please see Program Deferment plan
R7995 Acceptance Fee
$160 Visa & $220 SEVIS, R185 Return Passport via Courier
Approx. R8 000 – R20 000 (varies per placement location/ One ways allowed)
Recommended Spending Money
Minimum $1500 including initial housing and expenses
- Application is sent to the Program Manager for review
- Once approved by the Program Manager - applicant is to pay R7995
- Await interview - you may not be placed on your first interview. We will continue to interview you with employers until placed
- Once placed pay Visa and SEVIS fee
- Once placed applicants will also work hand in hand with OVC to secure and source housing. Rental deposit, 1st 2-4 weeks rent and application fees are payable up front before departure. Housing is basic and interns may require to take some bedding or personal items with or purchase on arrival. Utilities are not included in rent. Average rental ranges from $125 to $175 per week, base on location
- Once placed a finance agreement is signed at OVC for repayment of program fee, during your time in the USA
- OVC Arranges all your travel arrangements
- Applicant partakes in a final preparation meeting with OVC to ensure that you are ready to fly
OVC offer applicants the option to pay $400 of the $2400 placement fee in SA, and pay the balance once in the USA ($2000 over a period of 10 months whilst working in the USA)
Mandatory Spending Money
Applicants must take $1500 to America to for the fees listed above (Rent, Deposit, Spending and other items)
EXAMPLE EARNINGS PER WEEK AND PROGRAM REALITY:
Minimum wages - $10 x 40 hours/week = $400
Rental varies from $60 to $150/week
Program fee repayment- $50 per week
Applicants will pay mandatory state tax - this can be claimed in part on your return to SA.
Balance left for transport/ food / tax and personal expenses = Approx $215+
Please note this is not a money making program unless applicants work more than 40 hours which is possible at times or are paid more than $10 per hour which is also possible as it varies from resort to resort.
Older applicants who have permanent jobs and family to support here in SA, need to understand this is not an option to send money back home. This program is for 19 to 35-year-olds wanting to gain some American experience.
OVC is proud to be working hand in hand with our local and international partners to offer young South Africans the opportunity to work in the USA for 1 year on a hospitality internship program at leading resorts and hotels throughout the USA.
Typical Internship Position Information:
1. Must be a current full-time student at a post-secondary ministerially recognized institute outside the USA
All year round
12 Month J1 intern/trainee visa program.
- Gather application documents and pay R500 to your OVC office
Program Fee Deferred Payment Plan