Where to Work?
- United States
- UK and Europe
- New Zealand
- Middle East
- Job Eligibility Calculator
Funding option available
USA J1 HOSPITALITY INTERNSHIP
Gain professional experience in your field of study whether you are still a student or a recent graduate or a person with at least 5 years experience in a specific field.
This program provides challenging training experiences in the USA to students and young professionals between 21-36 years of age for a specified period of time (3 to 12 months). Overseas participants are able to train and intern in a variety of fields at employers around the US related to their specific field of study/experience. After they finish their training commitment in the USA, the program allows and encourages the participants to have an optional travel period to see America firsthand.
Two options are available:
1. Trainee Program (3 months – 18 months)
This option is available if you have one of the following:
a) A professional qualification (certificate/degree/diploma and at least 1 year’s professional experience in the same field)
b) At least 5 years experience in a specific field.
2. Internship Program (3 months – 12 months)
This option is available to students between 21-36 years of age who are currently enrolled or are within 12 months of graduation and who would like to gain experience in the same field of study.
Fields of Placement:
OVC only deals with PAID placements related to Hotels/Hospitality Establishments.
Placements outside the hospitality industry will most likelt be UNPAID or offer a maximum of a $500 stipend.
Applicants who have their own placements in fields other than Hospitality may also apply.
OVC regrets we are unable to find paid positions outside of the Hospitality Industry, but can still assist with the visa process for those applicants who have managed to secure their own position (Please refer to SELF ARRANGED PLACEMENT COSTS).
In order to be eligible for the visa, your experience must pertain to one of the following fields:
a. Arts and Culture
b. Education, Social Sciences, Library Science, Counselling and Social Services
c. Hospitality and Tourism
d. Information Media and Communications
e. Management, Business, Commerce and Finance
f. Public Administration and Law
g. The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
- Must be full-time student at an accredited, non-vocational institution or within 12 months of graduation, or have at least 5 years work experience outside the United States in a specific occupation, or have a diploma/degree + 1 years work experience.
- Proficient in English
- 21 to 36 years old
- Participants must be able to prove that they have at least $1500 available
- Prior employment experience is an advantage
Applicants can choose between 3-18 month placements on the Trainee Program or 3-12 month placements on the Internship Program.
Hospitality Interns/Trainees may only do programs that are 12 months max.
- J1 Internship Visa can be issued between 3-12 months
- J1 Trainee Visa can be issued between 3-18 months (except Hospitality-12 months max)
- Repeat participation is allowed under following conditions:
- In all cases, repeat participation should address the development of more advanced skills or a different field of expertise
- Interns may repeat as interns if they are still a student or recent graduate
- Trainees may repeat after a 2 year period of residency outside the US.
- Interns who wish to be Trainees may do so after a 2 year period of residency outside the US.
|Program fee||$2780 for 12 month placement -Please read: MORE INFO section for other options.|
|Other fees||SEVIS of $180 included in program fee|
|Travel Insurance||Included in program fee|
|Recommended Spending Money||R20000|
* Apply online
* We will respond with an email containing the application forms which you need to return to us via email.
* Once accepted -Pay R3650 application fee
* Upon confirmation of 1st interview-Pay R5000 deposit on Program fee
* We will source a position and once you receive a contract, further documentation will be sent.
* The balance of the program fee is payable within 24 hours after placement confirmation.
* DS forms will be issued in the US and sent to us, and thereafter the visa appointment can be made.
* Once the visa has been granted, the flight ticket can be booked.
Program Fees depending on length of program:
1-3 months: $1980
4-6 months: $2320
7-9 months: $2580
10-12 months: $2780
- 18 Months: $2480USD
- 12 Months: $2280 USD
- 6 Months or less: $1980 USD
NOTE: FOR SELF PLACEMENTS, IF THE HOST COMPANYS ANNUAL REVENUE IS LESS THAN 3MILLION OR HAVE LESS THAN 25 EMPLOYEES, AN ADDITIONAL $250 IS APPLICABLE FOR THE SITE VISIT THAT MUST BE DONE.
- Applicant Placement (unless the employment is self-arranged)
- J-1 visa sponsorship and issuing of DS 2019 forms.
- Health and travel insurance
- Support while in the USA
Should your application be rejected, you will receive a full refund.
Should your application be accepted by our US partner, the R3650 becomes non-refundable.
Please view our T&C for full details on our refund policy
**please note that placements can take between 2-6 months**
More info on ...
Get a new challenge
Write the characters in the image above
Are you 21 to 36 years old (Inclusive)?
Do you have a qualification in hospitality or are you currently studying towards a hospitality related qualification or you have more than 5 years experience in the hospitality industry?
You have / will have a RSA passport?
If you DO NOT have a hospitality qualification or experience in the industry do you have your own placement secured for your specific career field in which case OVC can assist on the SELF-PLACEMENT option?